POVERTY IN INDIA

Poverty is an issue which has been prevailing since independence. But what is poverty? When a person is unable to fulfill his or her daily minimum requirement then the person is called poor. There are various reasons for poverty – unequal distribution of money, illiteracy, caste system etc. The government has taken various steps to control poverty like the government has introduced Rural Employment Program etc. The government has also introduced National Rural Employment Guarantee Program according to which the government provide 100 days employment to those who want to work. This program is considered as a land mark to control poverty. Although the government has taken various steps in this regard but nothing has been found much effective. Rajiv Gandhi once said out of 100 paisa assigned to a person only 14 paisa reaches them. But my main motive is not to tell everyone what government has done to control poverty, instead what we have done to control poverty? What we have done to be truly called as a part of this educated society?

Here I would like to add my real life example which made me think about it. Once I was coming back from from railway station around 2AM in the morning, it was winter time and there was fog all around. I saw small children and babies sleeping on footpath. I felt very bad; it made me realize what “POVERTY” is in a true sense. That day I decided once I will start earning I will do something for these people. Either I will start an NGO or will join an NGO and work for these people. So I would like everyone to come ahead and do something for upliftment of the poor people to be truly called as a part of this educated society.

1 comments:

mrinu said...

It is good thought to have decided to do something to help the poor!! The small efforts of each one of us can make a great change. I remember my grandmother telling my sister when she got a job, to keep apart at least 10% of her salary towards charity and all my family members are doing that. And as far as i am concerned, i have seen to it that whenever i got some pocket money or when i earn some money doing some work i have kept aside a portion of it and send it to the SOS village. and i have also taken pains to teach some really poor students and make them pass in their board exams.When i get a job I'll see to it that i too spend some money on the poor...