Electronic Mailing & Ethics...

Hi Friends,

Yesterday in our Communication Class we were discussing the case, Electronic Mailing and Ethics...

There was a lot of participation in the class, kudos to that... but unfortunately, I could not be a part of it, thanks to the Marketing Exam we were having today... I was lost in the world with Philip Kotler (not that it really helped me much today), but as I did not share my views in class, I thought I'll share my views through our blog...

I would like to share with you what I learned about this topic through my work experience. Just before I joined for my PGDM... In the office where I worked, we were all provided with official e-mails and official mobile numbers. Now, most of us think that our official e-mail is our personal belonging and it is not fair for anyone, not even our employer to 'snoop' around its contents.

But this is where we are wrong... We need to understand that an official e-mail or an official mobile number belongs to our employer. When we leave the organization we do not carry this e-mail or mobile number out of the organization with us, but surrender it on the last day of our work with that company.

Hence as long as we are in the organization, our employer has every right to know, how we are using these facilities which are provided to us, to make our work easier.

During my tenure with the organization, I remember an incident where-in one of my colleagues was caught by the management for sharing a 'harmless' joke over the official e-mail system. I would like to remind you that in any organization, the use of the official e-mails and official mobile numbers are closely monitored, as it is the company who is paying the charges for their use.

Hence we need to be careful while using these facilities at work... Even when we need to share our grievances about our boss or our work, let's not use this source, but it would be much better if done face-to-face during one of the many routine meetings that we are likely to have. That would definitely fetch good results and elicit appropriate action from the side of the management as well.

I would like to sign off by reminding you of what Fatima Ma'am said at the end of the discussion, "when we are at work, let us enjoy our work and not think about our home, family or friends at that time, because that is not what we are paid for... After working hours, let us enjoy our life away from our work, with our friends and loved ones... This would definitely help us to enjoy both the personal and professional worlds we live in..."

So, let's try to get the best out of both these worlds in our life!

1 comments:

LINSON said...

i too agree. when in office, its just you and your work, why mix personal life with professional life. Be a hard core professional and excel.